Weekend Wrap Up…..We Are Back!

Good morning! I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend! We are over here riding the jet lag struggle bus…..BUT that means we are back home! Man, I never thought I would say ‘home’ and be referring to Japan. It just blows my mind sometimes all the places we have seen and lived. Been back home in bittersweet for sure. We are already missing our family and friends so much, but sleeping and cooking in my own home for the first time in a month is soo nice! Our in-laws are kind enough to allow us to stay with them when we go home. It really works out great with the space they have but blended two families under one roof….I know they are probably a little excited to have their space back as well. Today I am going to share our weekend which is pretty much our 20-hour journey back home….so hold on and here we go.


Friday our day started off bright and early at 4 a.m. I got up and made the boys breakfast, got ready, and we were on our way to the airport at 5:25. We arrived at the airport at 6:50 but right before arriving Mason throws up everywhere in the truck. Poor dude looked at me after he did it and say ‘o no’. I was like you are right dude! So quickly change his clothes and wipe up the carseat and truck as much as we can. Then head to check in. We flew Delta for the first time and it was the best flight and service! As good as a 12+ hour flight can be.

Mason was a trooper for the flight. He did not sleep but maybe 3 hours though. We played, read books, watched TV, played with the iPad, those of stickers, the seatbelt was even a hit for a good 20 minutes.

When we landed in Tokyo we were greeted by this customs line! I have never seen such in my life! Mason agreed and had a huge meltdown! I could not blame the little guy. It was past midnight our time and he had barely had any sleep. After about 10 minutes a kind lady must have felt bad for us because she pulled us out of this line and into a priority line. Thanks Mason! We quickly got through and made the first shuttle to meet with a neighbor to pick us up and carry us on base. Man all the travels! 

Needless to say the fur babies were excited to see their momma! I was pretty pumped to see them as well!

We arrived home about 5 o’clock p.m. and made it to about 7:30 before going to bed.


Saturday morning started bright and early for me at about 1:30 a.m. I could not sleep anymore and I was hungry! So I made my way downstairs to watch TV and lay on the couch.

Mason joined me about 2:45 and quickly told me ‘eat’. I get it, son, so he snacked, played, then cuddled with me on the couch until about 3:30. I laid him down just before he fell asleep with me and he went right to sleep and slept till about 7. I, on the other hand, did not go back to sleep. DC slept till about 6 and I was totally jealous!

Mason missed his sister too!

After we all ate I started unpacking. I alway unpack within the first day or two. I took this picture to show my friend I was wearing the shorts she got me. We think maybe in the 8th or 9th grade. Don’t judge me! 

Then in attempt to stay awake and because we had very little food, we headed out to get groceries. I took this picture showing my dad how expensive the grapes were. Mason loves grapes but does not get them a lot. Much like watermelon.

When we got back we were all starving and sleepy. We ate and all went down for a nap. I slept about 2 hours and Mason slept almost 4 before we woke up him. The rest of the night was spent at home on the jet lag struggle bus!


Nope, not the same picture! Sunday morning was a repeat of Saturday. I did sleep in till maybe 2 a.m. though and DC was up with us this time.


He was so excited for 2 a.m.!pumpkin

To brighten up the jet lag I made myself a pumpkin protein smoothie because it is pumpkin season but still 80 degree here.weekend

 I also made us some pumpkin bread using this recipe! It was delicious with coffee and mason approved as well! walks

I really need to get out of the house and thought it would be good for Mason as well. It was a beautiful day so why not take advantage. Plus, DC was watching the football games and I thought he’d like the alone time.

Mason loves seeing ‘planes’ (everything is a plane)! I think he missed our walks.


My dad sent me this picture while we were out! We had family pictures taken while we were home and I just love this one! It is my grandparents, their grandkids, and two great grandchildren. I tell her she is living my dreamchocolate

Then after my 30 minute nap during Mason’s 2 hour nap I created these little pumpkin spice peanut butter cups! Delicious!

When Mason woke up he was a mess! I think it is his teeth and just being tired. Now as I am typing this DC has already gone to bed and I am right behind him. It is 7:39 and I seriously cannot keep my eyes open. The 14 hour night difference is a killer!

I cannot closed without mentioning Florida. Prayers for everyone going through this hurricane season and their families as well!

Question: How do you handle jet lag? Have you ate all the pumpkin things yet? Do you unpack right away?



  1. Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real

    September 11, 2017 at 1:41 am

    I try to force myself to stay awake for a certain amount of time. When I was in Europe this past March, I told myself that I had to stay awake until 10pm New York time on the first day and made my boyfriend help keep me awake (it also helped his parents wanted to here about my trip). By staying up late, I think my body got tired and slept in until a mostly normal time the next morning. I hope jet lag gets better soon for you all!

    1. Bethany

      September 11, 2017 at 2:44 am

      Others keeping you awake is a great help! One of my problems is my body sleeps for 7-7 1/2 hours no matter what…..so if I go to bed at 7-8 p.m. I am wide awake by 3 a.m…..

  2. Emily @ Pizza & Pull-ups

    September 11, 2017 at 1:52 am

    I totally still have a few clothing items from high school that I still rock. I am all about the pumpkin things already, even though it has been in the 90s here. Glad you guys had a safe trip. I hope you can get back on a normal schedule soon.

    1. Bethany

      September 11, 2017 at 2:45 am

      Aren’t high school t-shirts the best?!

  3. Erinn

    September 11, 2017 at 12:53 pm

    That family picture is so sweet!
    That pumpkin smoothie sounds delicious – I can’t believe it’s still 80 degrees! It was 47 degrees here this morning….yikes!
    I pretty much get back on my regular routine after traveling to minimize the effects of jet lag. But I bet you guys have a way bigger time difference! Glad y’all are back safe 🙂

    1. Bethany

      September 11, 2017 at 7:45 pm

      WOW 47! We have a 14 hour time difference……

  4. Marina @ Happy Healing

    September 11, 2017 at 2:48 pm

    I’m currently dealing with jet lag, too! I just got back from Spain. But it’s good jet lag – it has me waking up early 🙂
    Omg that pumpkin smoothie looks soooo good. I can’t wait to start incorporating more pumpkin into my diet now that it’s cooler in Boston!
    Hope you have a great start to your week!

    1. Bethany

      September 11, 2017 at 7:46 pm

      I am a bit jealous! We lived in Portugal and I loved it! We never made it to Spain but I bet it was amazing!

  5. Amanda

    September 11, 2017 at 10:44 pm

    Oh my goodness, bless your hearts!! I haven’t traveled enough to deal with jet lag, but I do work night shifts mixed with day shifts and I started buying “Emergen-C”‘s “zzzz” version. It has melatonin. Maybe it’s placebo….but I’ve taken straight melatonin before and it would NOT work. I’ve taken this and gotten a ‘decent’ night sleep after working a few night shifts in a row.

    1. Bethany

      September 12, 2017 at 9:39 am

      I commend you. I don’t know if I could work night shift….I use to work on-call but that is about all I could do and stay normal.

Comments are closed.